Muskoka is home to fantastic cross-country ski trails for all levels. While many choose to hibernate during the colder months, others seize the opportunity to explore the region’s pristine beauty through the invigorating sport of cross-country skiing. Muskoka, with its vast network of trails and stunning winter scenery, beckons both seasoned skiers and newcomers alike to experience the joy of gliding through its snowy landscapes.
Muskoka, renowned for its charming lakes and lush greenery in the warmer months, undergoes a breathtaking transformation when winter arrives. The region’s landscapes become a snowy haven, with glistening icicles hanging from the trees and frozen lakes creating a serene backdrop.
Cross Country Ski Trails:
Muskoka boasts an extensive network of cross-country skiing trails, catering to all skill levels. From beginners to seasoned skiers, there’s a trail for everyone to enjoy. Here are some notable trails that showcase Muskoka’s winter charm:
Arrowhead Provincial Park, located just north of Huntsville, is a popular destination for winter sports, including cross-country skiing. The park features well-groomed trails that wind through snow-covered forests and offer stunning views of the frozen lakes. 46KM of trails, with 30km track set,16km of groomed trails and 9km of snowshoe trails. If you’re looking for a challenge, check out Homesteaders Skate at 2.8km and lots of elevation changes.
Limberlost Forest and Wildlife Reserve: For those seeking a more secluded and immersive experience, Limberlost Forest and Wildlife Reserve in Huntsville is a hidden gem. The trails wind through a diverse forest landscape, providing skiers with an opportunity to connect with nature and observe local wildlife. No rentals available.
Bracebridge Resource Management Centre: Cross-country skiing at the Bracebridge Resource Management Centre (BRMC) is a delightful experience that combines the beauty of Muskoka’s winter landscapes with well-maintained trails suitable for various skill levels. The trails are groomed by volunteers and often in great condition for both skate and classic.
Find Your Wild: Offers something a little different in Huntsville. With a Skishoe & Snowshoe sampler. Experience a three-hour program where you can try the new Hok ‘skishoes’ and top-of-the-line Tubbs snowshoes. The ‘Challenge by choice’ philosophy allows you to explore a variety of terrain with all activity suited to your unique group fitness and comfort levels. And no winter trip would be complete without a campfire and roasted s’mores.
- Milford Manor: With support of volunteers enjoy a cross-country ski trail at the Milford Manor Golf Course. The trail is approximately 1km in length, groomed once a week, and open as long as possible in the winter. Typically right after New Years as soon as the weather allows until March break! This is a free trail to use, open to the public. There is snowshoeing available around the outside of the path. Located in Muskoka Lakes. No rentals available.
Algonquin Outfitters (Huntsville and Bracebridge):
- Location: 86 Main Street East, Huntsville, ON P1H 2C7
- Location: 60 Manitoba Street, Bracebridge, ON P1L 1S1
- Algonquin Outfitters is a well-known outdoor retailer that offers cross-country ski rentals. They cater to various outdoor activities and have knowledgeable staff to assist you. Check their website or contact them directly for current offerings.
Liv Outside (Bracebridge):
- Location: 271 Ecclestone Drive, Bracebridge, ON P1L 1R1
- Liv Outside is an outdoor adventure and equipment rental shop that may offer cross-country ski rentals. They focus on various outdoor activities and can provide insights into local trails.
Muskoka Outfitters (Port Carling):
- Location: 270 Manitoba Street, Port Carling, ON P0B 1J0
- Muskoka Outfitters is known for outdoor equipment rentals. While they may primarily focus on water sports in the summer, it’s worth checking if they offer cross-country ski rentals in the winter.
Ski and Stay
A number of resorts groom their own cross country ski trails on-site, perfect for guests looking for great trails and convenience. There is nothing better than hitting the trails all day and skiing right back to your room to relax and recharge at night.
|XC Ski Trails
|Cedar Grove Lodge
|Bondi Village Cottage Resort
|Lake of Bays
|Blue Spruce Resort
|Lake of Bays
|Bayview Wildwood Resort