Muskoka’s Favourite Fall Festival is Rocking Once Again, October 12 – 14, 2018
The Bala Cranberry Festival is now entering its unprecedented 33rd year of celebrating Muskoka’s beloved cranberry, and what this festival has accomplished over these three decades has been nothing short of unbelievable.
Always the weekend after Thanksgiving, over 500,000 visitors have come to Bala, the Cranberry Capital of Ontario, to celebrate the Bala Cranberry Festival. For a town with an estimated population of 700, that is no small feat.
If you have never heard of this popular festival that celebrates the cranberry harvest, you are in for a treat! The Bala Cranberry Festival is many things, but first and foremost, it is a fun-filled weekend for everyone. Over the years, the festival has grown into:
- A shopping destination, as one of Ontario’s premier arts and crafts shows
- An entertaining festival with a fall fair’ atmosphere. Live music, entertainers/performers and attractions all weekend long
- A family friendly event with kids’ entertainment, kids’ activities, attractions and more
What is new in 2018
- Saturday Night Cran Concert at the Kee to Bala will feature 3 great acts, for 1 great price
- Senior’s Day (Friday, Oct 12), will have the sounds of the Big Band on the Maple Stage 1:30pm – 3:30pm (Free with festival admission)
- Family Day (Sunday, Oct 14) will have Splash N’ Boots on the Maple Stage at 11am (Free with festival admission)
- MINI Midway – the festival will have three carnival rides throughout town for the family to enjoy. Rides are FREE with festival admission
The best way to experience the festival
A visit to Muskoka Lakes Farm & Winery should definitely be a part of your festival experience, to get a true appreciation for this tart, red berry and how it shaped Bala. Take the Bog to Bottle Tour, a Canadian Signature experience that includes a guided marsh tour and a tutoured wine tasting of wines inspired by cranberries and the region. You can even put on a pair of waders and head into the marsh to be engulfed by a sea of these little red berries.
The best way to experience the festival is to start at one end of the town and stroll your way to the other, taking in all of the vendors, attractions, entertainment and food along the way. Purchase that perfect piece for your home or cottage, or start your Christmas shopping early with thousands of unique gift ideas all at one location. You will most certainly be charmed by the town of Bala, and this unique festival that has taken on a life of its own.
Join us in celebrating the wonderful cranberry at the Bala Cranberry Festival, and experience one of Ontario’s truly remarkable events.
Local accommodation providers:
- Sherwood Inn
- Clevelands House
- JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
- Pier 100 Cottages
- Shamrock Lodge
- Crestwood Inn
- Residence Inn Marriott Muskoka Wharf (free bus shuttles out to the festival)