The ultimate Canadian bucket-list item
Whether you’re mushing behind the sled or tucked comfortably inside the basket, this is the ideal way to experience the beautiful snow-covered forest in Muskoka. North Ridge Ranch is bringing the great white north a little closer to home, with only a two-hour drive north of the Hwy 400 and Hwy 401 split. The moment you step foot on the property, you can feel the love between the dogs and the owners. When the owners pick the team of sled dogs for the next adventure, the excitement levels grow and the ranch is full of waggy tails and wiggly bodies. Check out their Story of North Ridge Ranch video.
Muskoka is currently a Winter Wonderland and the trails at North Ridge Ranch are in excellent condition.
Book a dog sledding excursion at North Ridge Ranch
No experience is necessary to go on this adventure, and North Ridge Ranch will walk you through the tips and techniques before takeoff. There are two different options available to book, half day tours and one hour tours.
Their half day tour is approximately 2.5 – 3 hours long and is by far their most popular. The tour is often booked by groups of adventure-seeking friends, couples, and families searching for the ultimate Canadian experience. This 20km mushing experience through forested trails is offered 7 days a week, but reservations are required.
For those with small children or who just want to get their feet wet in the sport, the one-hour tour is a great option. Bookings for the one-hour tour are offered for midweek dates only. The tour covers approximately 10km of wooded Muskoka forest, while still incorporating exciting twists and turns on the dog sled.
Usually the season runs from the start of Christmas Break to the end of March Break, but it is completely weather dependent. Check out their Ranch Report on their website, which has the most up-do-date conditions.
Prices vary based on age and length of tour. For pricing of the tours, visit their website
What Guests are Saying
North Ridge Ranch holds a 5 out of 5 star rating and #1 of 22 Outdoor Activities in Huntsville by TripAdvisor.
Reading over the comments, a number of themes seems to come up time and time again:
- Brad and Leah LOVE their dogs and provide great care for them
- Dog sledding is an unforgettable experience
- Brad is a great guide, and visitors appreciate his emphasizing person (and doggy) safety
- Highly recommended
Take a look at a few reviews pulled from their TripAdvisor page.
Helpful tips for your dog sledding excursion
If you have questions about dog sledding, odds are Brad and Leah at North Ridge Ranch have the answer. For more answered FAQ’s visit their website. In the meantime, here are some important things we think you should know before booking.
- All ages can participate in dog sledding (small children ride in the sled)
- Tours start with thorough instruction and a focus on safety, so don’t be intimidated
- Dress warm in waterproof gear, including a winter coat, snow pants, hat, and mittens
- To protect your eyes from the wind, wear snow googles or sunglasses
- Bring a warm blanket to keep the passenger warm while riding in the sled
- You cannot go solo dog sledding (aka without a passenger)